Established on Nov 6, 2011, UBC Chinese Graduate Student Association (CGSA) is a non-profit and non-political student organization supported by UBC Graduate Student Society (GSS). UBC CGSA is dedicated to advocating for the interests of its members and promoting the cultural communication between Chinese students/scholars and the whole community. Membership of UBC CGSA is open to all Chinese graduate students at UBC that are from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, while other UBC student, staff and faculty are also welcome to join if interested. No membership fee is required.
The mission of UBC CGSA is to serve and consolidate the Chinese graduate student community at UBC and broaden the communication between this community and various other cultural, academic, and professional communities in the Great Vancouver Area. To fulfill this mission, UBC CGSA strives to organize and promote social, cultural, academic and professional events, as well as providing helpful information, for its members. UBC CGSA also co-hosts events with other cultural or academic groups on and off campus that encourage members to explore their interests through the whole UBC and Vancouver community.
Current achievement and future plan
Although just founded for several months, UBC CGSA has already organized several well appreciated activities independently or in collaboration with other UBC institutes, including UBC Asian Library, UBC GSS, UBC School of Music and Thunderbird Residence Association.
The regular events of UBC CGSA include:
- New Student Care Project (April to September)
- Asian Library Orientation (September)
- Sports Game Championship (October to November)
- Career Development Project: Fall Workshop (November)
- End Of Year Social Party (December)
- Chinese New Year Gala (February)
- Tax Return Workshop (March)
- Career Development Project: Spring Workshop (March)
- Summer Recreation Program (May to August)
The events in planning:
- International Cultural Festival
- UBC Chinese Forum
- UBC China Perspective Conference